Do you stare at an empty corner in your living room every day? It just sits there vacant and lonely. Sure, you think about doing something with the space, but what? Maybe the emptiness has even earned it the designated place where toys get piled or book bags get dropped after school. Stop staring at the valuable real estate and do something with it! You will be glad you did, and you might even smile every time you look at it.
1. Floor Water Feature – Turn that awful eyesore into the most dynamic focal point of your home with a floor water feature. They generally range from 4 to 10 feet tall, and come in a variety of materials and trims. Just place it in that corner on an angle and it will change the entire room. You can find a large selection online at websites like Soothing Walls.com.
2. Bean Bag or Cushions – An average chair might not fit there, but a beanbag chair certainly will. Just stuff it in the corner, and it will become the most popular seat in the house. Alternately, you can buy a bunch of floor cushions to stack there. When the kids have friends over, they will love having these cushions to sit on.
3. Office Space – With multiple kids in the home, you can never have too many workstations. Put a small desk and chair there and create privacy with a room divider or curtain.
4. Pet Bed – Your four-legged friend has probably put up with a lot through the years. Give him a space fit for royalty. A nice big bed with a blanket and toy placed there will turn that corner into his little den. You can even tack material on an angle to create a “roof” above the bed for a true den feel.
5. Fireplace – Did you know that corner fireplaces exist? Most people don’t! You can get an electric or bio fuel one that just nestles in the corner. Since these units don’t produce smoke, they require no venting.
6. Tree – You have always wanted a big, beautiful plant or small tree in the home, so what you are waiting for? Alternately, you can also put a corner plant stand there to hold multiple potted plants. If you have young children or pets make sure you don’t choose any that are poisonous.