Rose hair bows are an elegant and fun way to stand out while emphasizing your natural beauty. Fortunately, they are also a lot of fun to make and only require a little bit of time to produce amazing customized results. Making a rose hair bow has a few steps and there are many ways to further accentuate the rose such as using rhinestones, a fake rose flower, or decorative ribbon selections. A rose hair bow is also perfect for coordinating an outfit or matching to a theme – the Fourth of July, Christmas, Prom, and New Year’s are just a few examples a hair rose bow would be perfect for. Very elegant rose hair bows can also be made for weddings and baby showers. The possibilities are endless and allow you to express your unique style and memorialize each event with a craft of your own design.
Create Your Rose Hair Bow in 5 Easy Steps
1. Select a ribbon type such as satin, velvet, nylon, or cotton. Avoid ribbon with frilly edging as it can be difficult to tie or look awkward when tied. Choose the fastener for the ribbon – hair clips, headbands, and elastic ponytail holders are the most commonly used options. Fold ribbon over elastic to make it smooth and attractive when using it in your rose hair bow.
2. Decide whether to make a rose out of ribbon or use a fake rose to attach to the ribbon itself.
To make a ribbon rose, cut 6 inches of ribbon for each rose. Use your fingertips to evenly roll the ribbon up – the tighter the roll the more detailed the rose. Hot glue one end of the roll and squeeze it shut. Once dry, spread the other side of the roll outwards until it resembles a rose you like.
3. Hot glue your ribbon rose or your fake rose onto the fastener you chose. Let it dry completely and use as many roses as you like!
4. Hot glue additional ribbon around the roses – green ribbon can symbolize a stem and leaves or use this opportunity to match the ribbon to the event you will be attending.
5. Customize the rose hair bow with glitter, rhinestones, frilly lace, or whatever other details suit your unique style. You can also pair the roses with additional bows.
To make a ribbon bow:
– Fold or tie the ribbon around the hair fastener.
– Fold each end of the ribbon into a loop and cross the left loop over the right loop.
– Take the left loop under the right loop and pull it until it is tight (like tying your shoes!)
This is a great activity to do with girlfriends, with children, or as a Girl Scout meeting craft. This can also be a great way to do a gift exchange among friends – each friend can create a pair of unique hair bows to trade with another friend.
Quality hair bow supplies can be found and purchased from any local fabric and craft store.
Consider cool additions to your rose hair bow such as:
– Beads or pearls
– Seashells or pine cones
– Bright colored gemstones
– Silver or gold bells
Enjoy crafting your rose hair bows and remember to experiment and try new things. Make your day beautiful!
This guest contribution comes from Ribbon Retreat. The Ribbon Retreat carries crafting products such as quality grosgrain, sheers, wired, jacquard, double ruffle, fold over elastic and more.
Leave a Reply